Sunday, September 02, 2012

Another look at our gun culture

As noted on an earlier post below, I have tried to look at both sides of the gun fence. In fact I actually own several hand guns and rifles, although not many, and frankly I have not been using them lately.

I view guns from a recreational standpoint. I am not one of those people that pursue gun ownership under the premise and need for self defense. I also do not see it as a means to defend myself from an out of control government. Mostly, I just like to be able to shoot straight and hit a target at long range. That is it.

As such, I do not see it as a right to own guns and certainly not a right to own an arsenal with thousand of rounds of ammunition and automatic large capacity weapons. There is no conceivable way to justify that for “hunting”. And no, I do not believe that ‘guns don’t kill people, people do’. Yes, people have to pull the trigger, but it is a fact that making weapons so readily available for purchase gets those weapons in people’s guns more easily. Furthermore, try to kill 15+ people with a knife or baseball bat instead of a semiautomatic weapon, and watch that person fail.

What has finally really irritated me about the extreme position of the hard core NRA crowd is a recent opinion published in a gun publication. The premise was that the UN was looking into imposing new regulations to cover the transportation of weapons for hunting when traveling overseas. The writer further commented that this was part of the international conspiracy by the UN to restrict Americans the use of their guns and impose restrictions on our second amendment rights..saying as always ‘who knows where this will lead?’. There are no international second amendment rights!!! Just because we are crazy enough to want to carry weapons in the street, in a bar, or in a school doesn’t mean that we have the right to do so all over the world. And for that I am very thankful!

What the heck has happened to reasonable moderation. Why are we inundated in extremism every where we turn?

No comments: